Criminal Justice Information

If you’ve been a victim of crime you have the right to receive a certain level of service from the criminal justice system. Your rights are explained in the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime (the Victims Code). The Code tells you what you can expect from each criminal justice agency, including the police, the Crown Prosecution Service and the courts and the timeframe in which they must do it.

You have the right to:

  • be kept informed about the progress of your case by the police
  • hear when a suspect is arrested, charged, bailed or sentenced
  • apply for extra help when giving evidence in court (called ‘special measures’) if you are vulnerable, intimidated, or a child or young person
  • apply for compensation
  • make a Victim Personal Statement to explain the impact of the crime, and to have it read out in court, with the permission of the court
  • be told when an offender will be released, if that offender has been sentenced to a year or more in prison for a violent or sexual offence
  • information about taking part in restorative justice schemes
  • be referred to victims’ support services seek a review of a decision not to prosecute.

For further information please download the code of practice pdf »

Victim Personal Statements (VPS)

Experiencing crime can affect you in different ways, be it emotionally, physically, mentally or financially.

A Victim Personal Statement (VPS) gives you the opportunity to explain in your own words the impact that the crime has had on you and your family. It will be taken into account by all criminal justice agencies involved in the case and it can play a key part in sentencing.

For further information please see »

Criminal Injuries Compensation

If you’ve been injured by a violent crime, you can apply for compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

You will be eligible if the crime has been committed in the past two years, and if it was reported to the police as soon as possible.

It doesn’t matter whether the offender has been caught, but there are other rules which may affect how much compensation you receive. The CICA decide to make compensation awards by following a set of rules known as the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. The CICA scheme sets out the conditions which must be met before you will be considered eligible for compensation.

Please visit the below website to see if you are eligible for compensation:

Witness Service

The witness service provides free practical and emotional support before, during and after a trial. The service operates in every criminal court in England and Wales and is run by Citizens Advice.

Please see the below for further information:

What happens when you report a crime?

The below website offers information on –

  1. Reporting a crime
  2. The Police Investigation
  3. Going to Court
  4. Going to trial

Derbyshire Constabulary

Please visit the Derbyshire Constabulary website for more information on victims and witnesses: