Anti-Social Behaviour

What is it?

Anti-social behaviour or ASB is the term used to cover a variety of conduct, from low-level persistent nuisance to serious public disturbance. Anti-social behaviour is defined in the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 as “acting in a manner that causes or is likely to cause alarm, distress or harassment to one or more persons not of the same household”. Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • Noise nuisance
  • Criminal damage, vandalism, graffiti
  • Intimidation or harassment
  • Litter/rubbish or fly-tipping
  • Drug or alcohol misuse
  • Misuse of fireworks

What action should I take if there’s a problem?

Often issues can be resolved by talking to a neighbour or the people involved in the anti-social behaviour if the matter is not too serious. It is sometimes the case that the person or group doesn’t realise their actions are disturbing you and will change their behaviour once they are made aware. Try to stay calm and friendly during the conversation and listen to the other person’s point of view without interrupting. It is important to remember that anti-social behaviour is not simply playing out in the street. It is not against the law to play with a football in a neighbourhood. Ask yourself whether they are really doing anything wrong.

How do I report it?

Anti-social behaviour can cover a wide range of issues so it is important you are aware of who to report these too. To find out how to deal with an issue in your area please see the links below.

Community Saftey Partnerships

Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) are made up of representatives from the ‘responsible authorities’, which are the:

  • Police
  • Local authorities
  • Fire and rescue authorities
  • Probation service
  • Health

The responsible authorities work together to protect their local communities from crime and to help people feel safer. They work out how to deal with local issues like antisocial behaviour, drug or alcohol misuse and reoffending. They annually assess local crime priorities and consult partners and the local community about how to deal with them. There are 8 District partnerships in the County and one partnership in the City. If you would like to know more about the community safety partnership in your area then please click on the links below:

Amber Valley



Derby City Council

Derbyshire Dales


High Peak

North East Derbyshire

South Derbyshire

Where can I go for more help?

The Police and Crime Commissioner funds organisations that provide support services for victims and witnesses in Derbyshire. These are free of charge and are available to anyone who lives in Derbyshire. For anti-social behaviour, these support services are provided by Derbyshire Victim Services.

If you have ever been the victim of crime, or have been affected by a crime committed against someone close to you, Derbyshire Victim Services can provide all the help and support you need. Their local team offers a friendly, free and confidential service to anyone living in Derbyshire. It doesn’t matter if you reported the crime to the Police or not they are here to help you with any practical advice and emotional support.

0800 612 6505

Text CORE to 82055

For more information about anti-social behaviour and advice see the organisations listed below


CrimeStoppers is an independent charity helping law enforcement to locate criminals and help solve crimes, through anonymous reporting. The site also provides crime prevention advice for a number of crimes.