Legal Processes

Support and advice to help you gain access to justice is available to all victims of crime. Local support networks exist to provide you with guidance on your entitlements under the community legal service, to help you pursue compensation for injuries and to deliver advice about going to court.

Where do I go for legal help or advice?

The Derbyshire Districts Citizens Advice Bureau provides free, confidential and impartial advice on a range of issues including financial worries, housing or employment problems, tax issues, immigration matters or benefit entitlement.

CAB Witness Support Service

Citizens Advice delivers a court-based Witness Service offering practical advice and emotional support to witnesses of crime and their families when called to give evidence during criminal trials. The service helps to explain court procedures, share progress on cases, offer tailored support to young or vulnerable witnesses and give directions and instructions to witnesses with the aim of reducing the anxiety of giving evidence.

Derbyshire Law Centre

The Derbyshire Law Centre provides free legal services in social welfare law in the Derbyshire area. The centre specialises in the following areas:

  • Housing
  • Employment
  • Migration
  • Hate and Harassment
  • Debt
  • Discrimination


Advocacy services help people – particularly those who are most vulnerable in society – to:

  • access information and services
  • be involved in decisions about their lives
  • explore choices and options
  • defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
  • speak out about issues that matter to them


SV2 (Supporting Victims of Sexual Violence) offers a wide range of support for both recent and historical victims of sexual violence which include counselling, therapy and an independent advocacy service.

Citizens' Advice Bureau

The Citizens' Advice Bureau provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.