Harassment and Stalking

What is it?

Harassment is repeated behaviour which makes you feel distressed, humiliated or threatened. The perpetrator could be someone known to you or a stranger. Examples of harassment include:

  • Unwanted phone calls, letters, emails or visits
  • Following or watching the victim
  • Verbal abuse and threats
  • Damaging the victim’s property


Stalking refers to persistent and unwanted behaviour causing a victim fear, harassment and anxiety. Stalking is a criminal offence under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Stalking is one of the most common types of intimate violence and most often involves a partner or ex-partner. As many as 18.1% of women and 9.4% of men aged 16-59 say they have been a victim of stalking. Many victims do not come forward in the mistaken belief they are overreacting. If you feel scared, worried or angered by someone’s persistent behaviour then it is your right to seek help and protection.

How to report it?

If you feel a person’s behaviour is putting you in immediate danger you must always call 999. You can report stalking or harassment to the police on the non-emergency number 101.

Commissioned Provider

The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 provides powers for the Police and Crime Commissioner to award grants to any organisation or body he considers will support the community safety priorities within his police and crime plan, such as tackling drugs and crime, reducing re-offending and providing support for victims and witnesses.

Derbyshire Victim Services

From April 2016 Derbyshire Victim Services will be a commissioned provider of general victim services to those affected by crime in the Derbyshire area. If you have ever been the victim of crime, or have been affected by a crime committed against someone close to you, Derbyshire Victim Services can provide all the help and support you need. Their local team offers a friendly, free and confidential service to anyone living in Derbyshire. It doesn’t matter if you reported the crime to the Police or not they are here to help you with any practical advice and emotional support.

0800 612 6505

Text CORE to 82055 


Below are a range of other organisations that will be able to provide advice and support:

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

National domestic violence provides a national service supporting women experiencing domestic abuse. It can be accessed by the victim or by their friends, family, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.


Refuge offer a range of services including refuge, outreach and resettlement support to women and children who have experienced domestic abuse, stalking, honour based violence, trafficking, forced marriage and Female Genital Mutilation.

Women’s Aid

This site provides information around domestic abuse and allows you to find support in your area.